Are you a business owner who wants to maximize your online advertising efforts?
Learn about IP targeting and why it is increasingly becoming a popular choice for advertisers today.
Businesses are constantly looking for ways to effectively advertise to potential customers. The Internet has revolutionized the way enterprises, both large and small, reach out to the public – whether they are a few kilometers or thousands of miles away. One of the most popular methods employed in online advertising these days is IP targeting.
IP Targeting falls under geotargeting in geomarketing and Internet marketing and is defined as the “method of determining the geolocation of a website visitor and delivering different content to that visitor based on his or her location, such as country, region/state, city, metro code/zip code, organization, IP address, ISP or other criteria. (Wikipedia)
Reach Your Target Audience
Businesses can derive great benefits from IP address targeting by ensuring that their essential information and advertisements are reaching their relevant audience in a relevant location at a relevant date and time.
All kinds of organizations across various industries can utilize IP targeting, such as banking and financial institutions, healthcare and medical services, transport companies, hotels, restaurants, government agencies, pharmaceutical companies, law firms, religious organizations, manufacturers, entertainment, colleges and universities, political institutions, retail establishments, and utilities.
With the help of geo targeting, you can now reach people whenever they access the Internet and wherever they are, whether they are:
- Conducting research for work
- Surfing the Web from their homes
- Waiting in a parked car outside their kids’ schools
- Lounging at a poolside on vacation
- Taking a break at a café
- Accessing their social media accounts on campus
- Shopping online
- Awaiting their turn at a physician or dentist’s clinic
- Staying at a hotel for business
- In between flights at an airport
- Assigned at a military base outside of the country
- Attending an event, convention or conference
- Strolling at a park
Using IP Targeting
Advertisers can typically target their audiences with the help of geolocation services based on geographical and other information provided by the visitor or others. This will enable them to provide different content, either by choice or automatically based on their location.
An example of delivering specific content by choice in geotargeting is the website for Levi’s Jeans where visitors are prompted to first select their country of origin, after which, they will be directed to a specific site with specific content depending on their specific location.
On the other hand, an example of delivering automated content based on geographical location is the website Accuweather,com where visitors will automatically see weather forecasts for their specific city and country.
Another example of the use of IP targeting is the online locator service for websites which is helpful for visitors who are looking for local stores in their area of residence to help them find the nearest brick-and-mortar store to their address.
Some common uses for IP targeting include:
- Global businesses who want to serve specific content to users from a particular country on their website
- Local small businesses that want to advertise discounts and promotions to those who live within a certain radius of their store
- Webmasters who want to serve content based on local time using IP geolocation
- Fraud prevention identifies suspicious financial transactions in real-time based on discrepancies between IP address and other additional information such as those found on billing records, etc.
One of the best things about IP targeting is that since it only utilizes the Internet users’ IP addresses (which only provides non-identifiable information) to target your specific audience, they will feel more secure knowing their privacy is not compromised, while still getting relevant content and advertisements based on their geographical location.